In 1562 Donald McGillespic Vic O'Challum received the lands of Poltalloch from Duncan Campbell of Duntrune in return for certain services. Two hundred years later, the O'Challums (now anglicised to Malcolm) bought out the Campbells. Today their direct descendants still occupy Duntrune and farm the land.
Situated at the narrows between deep water and a tidal loch, Duntrune was built to guard the glens of Kilmartin and Kilmichael from seafaring marauders.
Always a Campbell stronghold in those days, it was never the scene of a major conflict, and is now accepted as the oldest continuously inhabited castle in Scotland. The vaulted rooms on the ground floor date from the 12th Century, and the remainder of the keep from the 16th. Our ghost is well-authenticated, handless piper, whose musical warning "Cholla mo Run, Seachain a Dun" saved his master Colkitto McDonald from a Campbell ambush.
Four thousand years before the first Campbell, neolithic man gave up a nomadic hunting life to settle here where the land drained easily and responded to his simple implements. The Scots of Dalriada came later, attracted not only by the fertility of the area, but also because it was central to their kingdom and all outposts were easily reached. So it is today.